President’s message & AGM notification
Looking back – the year in review
At the beginning of this 2015/2016 theatre year going back into this time last year, the BOS was at a critical point financially. Our financial assets were trending at historical lows and we needed to reverse a trend where the majority of shows over the last decade were registering financial losses. It was recognized that in order to secure a stable and sustainable future we needed to make some changes and that involved recognizing that it was time to innovate.
The strategy was simple:
Secure a stronger financial footing by producing our shows profitably, while returning to the tradition of focusing on fundraising and finding innovative ways to achieve both of those. The guiding principle was that: “change is good”.
⇒ delivering profitable shows
The immediately obvious changes were in the Production line up for the year. We chose to take an aggressive line on the year by delivering two productions instead of the usual one, while introducing a new format in the February time slot as well as venturing into a spring production. Both involved looking very hard at the budgets and tightening as many elements as we could to deliver quality products while essentially spending less money.
The highly successful February Concert proved to be a low cost/ high revenue project as we registered a profit of over $13k. It proved to be an artistic and commercial hit with members and audiences alike as we had over 70 cast and audiences of close to 1000. The BOS would like to thank the entire Cast & Production team for a job very well done on a shorter time line.
South Pacific also worked under a significantly trimmed budget versus historical budget levels (when looking at the last ten years) and will register a profit in the neighbourhood of $4k+. There were concerns with the June time frame but total audiences of approximately 1400 saw the show, which tells us that we don’t have to be restricted to traditional time frames. A cast of 33, a pit band of 15 plus skilled production team’s and crew delivered this timeless classic. In particular the BOS would like to thank the entire Cast and Production team for working under tight constraints and getting the job done in a professional manner on a shorter than traditional timeline.
The other key element of the year was a renewed focused on fundraising thru direct corporate sponsors, donors, advertising and most recently an online silent auction which was a way to incorporate social media into our efforts. These efforts and the very hard work of some key people on the Board (Lisa Livingston, Becky Bridger, Will Wright, Todd Noel in particular) contributed to the overall financial success of the year. We would like to thank all of our corporate partners, sponsors, donors, advertisers, members and contributors. All your efforts and support are appreciated and continue to be key to securing the BOS’s future.
♦ As a result of the success of these efforts the BOS’s financial status is significantly improved at this point and the future is looking brighter. However, it is important that the focus on the financial elements remain a top priority to build on these short term successes and ensure sustainability over the long term. This will continue to be the challenge for future Board of Directors.
Looking ahead to 2017
Plans continue for our February 2017 production. A musical concert review of animated classics led by Producer/ Director Peter Yerdon and his Production team. Auditions, tentatively, will be held in the late November time frame. Further information will follow. Note: this production will include live musicians.
Please note the BOS is considering staging a second production in 2017 and is still accepting proposals now until October 31st. Please see the website submission forms and links for more details.
The 2016 Annual General Meeting will be held on SEPTEMBER 13, 2016 @ 6:30pm at the Musi Theatre. (Refreshments 6pm) Reminder – membership renewals for 2016/2017 season can be made the night of the AGM. Note – must be an active member the night of the AGM to have voting privileges for the meeting.
Proposed AGM Agenda:
• Call to Order
• Confirmation that Proper notice given – Secretary
• Confirmation that a Quorum is present – Secretary
• Any Addition to Agenda – President
• Adoption of Agenda – President
• Approval of minutes previous year’s AGM – Secretary
• Matters arising from minutes
• Treasurer Annual report – Treasurer
• Consideration of the Auditor’s report – Treasurer
• Approval of the 2016/17 Auditor – Treasurer
• Membership report – Membership chair
• Producer’s Report – Producer/ Webber and Producer/ South Pacific
• Nomination Report – Nomination chair
• Nominations from floor – Nomination chair
• Candidates may address to meeting (optional to candidates) Nomination chair
• Election of Directors – Nomination chair
• Motion to destroy ballots (if necessary) – Nomination chair
• President’s report – President
• Old/ New business
• The next general meeting of the members will be at the Pleasure of the Board of Directors
*********Note: Members who wish to vote or nominate by proxy should contact Secretary Deanna Powers by September 1st
2017 Board nominations: We will presenting nominees for membership on the Board for the 2016/2017 season at the AGM on September 13th. If this is something of interest to you please contact nomination committee chair Peter Yerdon.
On a personal note I would like to take the time to thank all members of the Board for their hard work and dedication over the last couple of years, it has been an honour serving with you.
In particular I would like note the outgoing members: Melody Barr, Mary Wonnacott-Hills, Jon Keeler, Todd Noel, Becky Bridger
As I also step down from the Board in September I wish the incoming Board every success for the coming year. Break a leg!
On behalf of the Board
Minutes from 2015 AGM
Annual General Meeting for the year 2014/15.
Minutes of Meeting held on September 22, 2015.
- Call to Order – Paul Duschene: The meeting was called to order at 7.00PM.
- Confirmation that proper Notice of the Meeting has been given – Raul Cirne: “Notice of Meeting” was included in the August edition of the Score, emailed to members on August 21st, and sent by Canada Post, around the same date.
- Confirmation that a Quorum is present – Raul Cirne: There are 11 Life Members and 22 regular members present which exceeds the requirements for a Quorum. (15 needed)
- Additions or amendments to the Agenda – Paul Duschene: There were none.
- Adoption of the Agenda: M/S John Ballachey/Peter Yerdon that “the Agenda be adopted as distributed”. Carried.
- Approval of the Minutes of the A.G.M. held on September 23th, 2014: M/S Raul Cirne/Carola Johnston that “the minutes of the AGM held on Sept 25th, 2014 be approved as circulated.” Carried.
- Matters arising out of the Minutes –None.
- Treasurer’s Annual Report – Chelsea Lee: Copies of the Audited Financial Statements and the Treasurer’s Statements were circulated. Chelsea drew attention to two items:1) the Accountant mistakenly mis-allocated the Petty Cash and
2) as of May 31/15 , the City’s Invoice, for the January installment of the Rent (for Musi Theatre) hadn’t been received and therefore hadn’t been paid.
Peter Galvin advised that the he still hadn’t been reimbursed for purchases he made, for material for Guys and Dolls.
- Consideration of the Auditor’s Report: M/S Chelsea Lee/Peter Yerdon that “the Auditor’s Report and Financial Statements be received as distributed.” Carried.
- Approval of the 2015/16 Auditor and Fee: M/S Chelsea Lee/Lina Yerdon that “Durand and Associates be appointed as the Auditor for 2015/16, their Fee to be set by the Board of Directors.” Carried.
- Membership Report – Stephanie Hutton-VanderbaarenRecords show the following Memberships by category: 33 Life Members, 1 Benefactor, 8 Patrons, 4 Friends, 16 Adults, 15 Students and 9 Family memberships (for an estimated 44 individuals) for a total of 125.
Stephanie advised that Becky Bridger is currently working on a proposed package of Sponsorships and Donation categories
- Producer’s report on Guys and Dolls: Peter Yerdon summarized the results: very successful with over 1400 attendees, but a significant financial loss.Barry Whiteland read a Producer’s Report, submitted by Jeneatha Oxley. (Copy attached to the file copy of these Minutes.)
- Nomination Report – Peter Yerdon: Peter reported the 6 members would be leaving the Board but that he only had a slate of 4 candidates as replacements: John Keeler, Melody Barr, Andrea Yerdon and Deanna Powers.
- Nominations from the floor – Peter Yerdon: A ‘first call’ produced 2 nominations: Will Wright nominated Lisa Livingstone, who accepted the nomination, and Peter Lynch nominated Barry Whiteland, who also accepted the nomination.2nd and 3rd calls produced no additional nominations.
- Candidates to address the meeting – Peter Yerdon: No candidate wished to address the meeting.
- Announcement of the elected Directors – Peter Yerdon: The new Board is acclaimed and consists of: Paul Duschene, Will Wright, Mary Wonnacott-Hills, Lynne Gardiner, John Ballachey, Becky Bridger, Todd Noel, Barry Whiteland, Andrea Yerdon, Melody Barr, John Keeler, Diana Powers and Lisa Livingstone.
- Motion to destroy the Ballots: This was not necessary.
- President’s report: Paul Duschene read excerpts from his report, which was previously posted on the BOS Website.Highlights included:
There was considerable discussion regarding the changed format of the February show, and especially the reasons why. Much support for the moving of the ‘main show’ (South Pacific) to June.
- Old Business:A report, by Raul Cirne, was circulated regarding the current status of the Provincial Legislation regarding the operation of Not-for-Profit Charitable organizations (Copy attached to the file copy of these Minutes.)
- New Business:a) Amendment to “Duties of responsibilities”- Raul Cirne: A report was circulated, regarding a proposed change to this document, which was adopted in 2013, regarding the duties of the Immediate Past President. (Copy attached to the file copy of these Minutes.) The report also included a proposed Policy governing the actions of the Ad Hoc Committee.
M/S Raul Cirne/Will Wright that the following be added, to the Duties of the Immediate Past President “Item 9. Chairs the Ad Hoc Committee that evaluates ‘Nominations for Life Membership’.” Carried.
b) Presentations and Awards:
i) Paul Duschene thanked the Board-members, who have or will be leaving the Board: Sam Crosby, (who resigned earlier in the term), Kimberley Cosgrove, Chelsea Lee, Stephanie Hutton-Vanderbarren, Raul Cirne and Peter Yerdon.
ii) Kimberley Cosgrove presented BOS Financial Bursaries to Noah Pruner and Elizabeth Horton, who are both taking Theatre related secondary education courses.
iii) Stephanie Hutton-Vanderbarren presented Life Memberships to three long-term members; individuals who have long been active, in different ways – directing, onstage, backstage and in the orchestra pit. They are Peter Galvin, and Neil and Donna Matheson.
- The next general meeting of the members will be at the pleasure of the Board of Directors
- Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8.05 PM.